Weaning is the most stress calves will face up to that current time in their life. Up until then, they have lived a fairly peaceful, carefree life. They’ve had their mama’s milk, some grass and perhaps even some creep feed or a Vita Charge® Stress Tub to lick on. But now, everything is about to change, and it is up to your customers to continue to give them the best life they can with the 1-2-3 approach of the Gain Smart® program.
Here’s a refresher on why it is so important to market all three steps of the program, especially if a customer is trying to keep cattle healthy and on an all-natural program.
Step 1: Vita Charge Cattle Drench within the first 48 hours of weaning or receiving if shipping cattle to:
- Jump start feed and energy intake
- Stimulate the cattle’s immune system
- Allows maximum effectiveness of weaning time vaccinations
“When we wean, and we go right to Vita Charge Drench, I’ll go 45 days without any issues, usually. Those calves seem to come out of the drench, hit the stress tubs, and go straight to the bunk. I’ve had no issues the last three years that we’ve used the products.” – Kevin Evans, Thaler Land & Livestock, Wyoming
Step 2: Vita Charge Stress Tubs for the first week to three weeks to:
- Promote feed and water intake
- MOS to help trap bad bacteria, limiting their ability to do harm
- Increase digestibility to maximize the energy value of feed for more gains
- Prebiotic and probiotic approach provides synergy for a 1 + 1 = 3 effect on cattle health and performance.
“It is a big part to have a healthy calf and not have pulls since we are selling our calves on an all-natural program. We’ve had really good success putting Vita Charge® Stress Tubs in front of the calves immediately at weaning. An ounce or two of stress tubs versus an ounce or two of medication is pretty reasonable if you were able to compare it by ounce.” – Tim Ree, Montana
Step 3: Gain Smart Mineral for 45 to 100 days:
- Promote calf vigor and health
- Stimulate digestion and increases nutrient uptake for optimum gain
- Support hoof health and immunity
- Accurately supplement minerals lacking in pastures and rectify mineral imbalances.
“I believe in minerals. I believe the most problems you have with cattle is with mineral deficiency. I saw the VitaFerm® Gain Smart® Program on The American Rancher one night, and I thought I could use that. Since I started feeding Gain Smart, I’ve had less than 1% death loss. I have virtually no foot rot or pinkeye problems at all. I love the VitaFerm Gain Smart Stocker HEAT® that has the garlic in it. It has good fly control; Stocker HEAT does help with the fescue because we have a lot of fescue down here. The cattle are healthy, look good, and I think they are getting a premium.” – Tom Carter, Virginia